Skip to content ↓


This subject allows students to express themselves, their world and their lifestyles while developing their techniques and artistic awareness. By studying the work of artists and designers, students become aware of the way that Art and Design affects many aspects of their everyday environment. By their own practical work and by their knowledge and understanding of the others’ work, they can also compare their own culture with other world cultures and art history.

Years 7-9

The work in Years 7-9 develop students’ technical skills using a variety of media and processes. Students develop their work through themes and projects designed to encourage an awareness of the visual world. They look and respond to the work of artists, crafts workers and designers, make observed and imaginative drawings and experiment and explore materials in both two and three dimensions. Each year students will produce paintings, prints and 3D work allowing skills to be built up year on year.

Years 10-11

Art is a popular and successful option at GCSE where the emphasis encourages an adventurous and enquiring approach to art and developing skills to express a personal response. There is also a significant written element to the GCSE course that enable students to demonstrate their critical and cultural understanding. During Years 10 and 11 students work on two major project units. The coursework part of the course is worth 60% of the total marks. At the end of Year 11 students will prepare for and take a ten hour timed test to determine the remaining 40%.

Sixth Form

Sixth Form students work on the AQA A2 courses which follow the same format and working patterns as the GCSE course. Students start the course by following a skills base curriculum.. Students then use these skills in their independent sustained investigation which they start in January of year 12.. This element is 60% of the final grade and is produced in class and in their own time throughout the remainder of year 12 and 13.. The focus is on technical skill, and development of ideas. Work should take on a more conceptual approach as they develop their independent work.

 The externally set assignment is 40% of the final mark and the preparation for this starts in January of year 13.. Students will have until April to prepare for their final 15 hour exam which is spread over three days. Students taking A Level art are encouraged to take part in the Gallery visit at the start of year 12..

Additional Information

All students are expected to come prepared for lessons with the essential equipment as listed in the student planner.  Exam students will require a wider range of art materials such as acrylic paints, sketching pencils, watercolours and brushes.

We run art clubs for KS3, 4 and 5. Students who are able may also opt to take  an arts award. This is run as a club after school. Work for this will also need to be completed at home.

As part of the GCSE and A Level art course students are encouraged to visit local museums, galleries and open studios as much as possible.