Skip to content ↓
Sir Harry Smith

Sir Harry Smith Community College

  • Diploma


    Students who chose this qualification must also chose the BTEC extended certificate in Health and Social Care. The information below summarises the extra content that will be covered to convert the Level 3 Extended Certificate in Health and Social Care (equivalent in size to 1 A-level) to the Level 3 Diploma in Health and Social Care (equivalent in size to 2 A-levels). The course contains 3 mandatory units:

    Unit 4, Enquiries into Current Research in Health and Social Care -

    • Learners explore the methodologies of contemporary research and investigate the implications for health and social care practice and services

     Unit 7, Principles of Safe Practice in Health and Social Care -

    • Learners explore the importance of safe working practices, safeguarding procedures and responding to emergency situations in health and social care settings

    Unit 8, Promoting Public Health -

    •  Learners explore the aims of public health policy and the current approaches to promoting and protecting health and encouraging behaviour change in the population

    In addition to the optional units in the extended certificate the diploma has the following optional units:

    • Work Experience in Health and Social Care
    • Nutritional Health

    We hope to include some work experience relevant to each student’s areas of interest within the delivery of this course.


    The three main forms of assessment for this qualification are the same as the extended certificate:

    1. External
    2. Internal
    3. Synoptic


    This qualification is generally taken alongside other qualifications as part of a two-year programme of learning. It carries UCAS points and is recognised by Higher Education providers as contributing to the entry requirements for a wide range of degree programmes in the health and social care sector.

    It can for example be taken alongside:

    • An A Level in Biology, which could lead to a BSc (Hons) in Nursing or Midwifery
    • An A Level in Sociology, which could lead to a BA (Hons) in Social Work
    • A BTEC Certificate in Sport, which could lead to a BSc (Hons) in Physiotherapy
    • An A Level in Psychology, which could lead to a BSc (Hons) in Psychology