The College believes that the personal development of young people is essential to their health, safety and achievement as individuals within society.
The key dimensions within personal development for young people are:
- The knowledge, skills and attitudes to make healthy choices and manage risk.
- The ability to form and manage supportive and stable relationships.
- The capacity to understand what makes a good relationship and how to stay safe online.
- The capacity to develop awareness of themselves as learners and managers of change.
- The capacity to recognise and celebrate diversity and difference.
- The opportunity to participate actively in their schools and communities.
- The development of an understanding of how society works and the rights and responsibilities of being a citizen.
- The ability to anticipate the demands and challenges of adult life including work and leisure opportunities.
- The opportunity to demonstrate their creativity and enterprise.
- The ability to understand the world of finance and to make informed decisions around this.
- The development of an understanding of British Values and how these impact upon everyday life.
- The knowledge of the range pathways open to students to enable them to make successful career choices.
Our programme is based upon the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Framework for Personal Development and includes Citizenship, Personal, Social and Health Education and the Cambridgeshire Framework for Careers Education and Guidance.
The Programmes of Study and Delivery
Our programmes of study are constructed from the Cambridgeshire Framework, using the five major themes:
- Making the most of my ability.
- Myself and My Relationships.
- Health and Healthier Lifestyle.
- Economic Education.
They are delivered in the following ways:
- Tutorial time and activity.
- Curriculum time dedicated for Personal Development.
- Opportunities identified within the wider curriculum.
- Conferences and opportunities for young people to participate in College and community activities and projects.